Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Winter Writing Humdrum / Holiday Hangover

I don't know about anybody else out there, but I am having the hardest time getting back into writing right now. For some reason the holiday season just did a number on me this year. I feel SO tired, drained and exhausted.

I didn't really do anything different this year than any other year, but I feel like I'm caught up in some kind of limbo where I have zero productivity. I'm about seven chapters into a brand new story that I haven't touched in almost a month. I have some simple rewrites to do for my publisher on my next release, and even though there isn't a lot and I could probably knock the first round out fairly quickly, this is the closest I've come to even touching my laptop in at least two weeks.

I pulled together just enough energy tonight to write about not writing.

Yep, that sounds like me.

Now, I know the holidays can be draining for everyone; I certainly don't think I'm alone in that. But this year has been particularly difficult to drag my ass back into gear after the tinsel has settled. I think the biggest difference is that I lost my mother earlier this year and this was my first Christmas without her. I think I held it together pretty well with all things considered, but I would be lying if I said that I didn't feel her absence like a giant elephant in the room.

It also doesn't help that I work a full time job during the week with a 90 minute commute each way. By the time I get home I'm a freaking zombie and the last thing I want to do is try to concentrate and force something that I love to let happen at its own pace. Throw in the added stress of the holidays and I'm ready to hibernate for at least another month.


Trying to write after work


Are any of you other writers out there going through the same thing? A nasty holiday hangover that stole all your energy and left you feeling just... meh? I'd love to hear that I'm not the only one out there.


In the meantime... I think I'll just take a nap.



No comments:

Post a Comment